Wednesday 7 July 2010

On a Roll - I hope

Those of us who write will know what I mean (I think). You can go for days, weeks, sometimes months without writing a word, inspiration dried up, then out of the blue you start something new, it races on almost as if it has a life of its own, then finish it. And before you know it you're off on another. On a roll.

Well, touch wood, I seem to be on one now. I just finished The Last Coach Trip and have started straight away on another story with the daunting title Redundancy, a word ripe with possibilities. And have gone from a story about old men to one about a lad aged 21. There's variety for you!

(Mind you, we did lose four people where I work through redundancy a short while ago, including my old assistant - and good friend Ben. Therefore I do know something of what the atmosphere can be like even though my own job was firmly secure.)

Most of what I've otherwise done lately has been to work through a couple of older novels, doing rewrites and generally tidying them up. I still have a couple of others to finish, but I'm not going to let them get in the way while I'm in a short story writing mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment